Thursday, November 15, 2012

Sickies

We have been a house full of sickies this last week!

First off, I got stuck with yet another round of mastitis.
And let me tell you, that stuff is not fun!
And to make things even worse, my medicaid from when I was pregnant with Raleigh had run out only 6 days before.
So, I had no health insurance to go to a doctor.

Luckily, it wasn't the worst case I've ever had. 
As soon as I started to feel it coming on I started taking preventative measures immediately and I think that helped a lot.
I never ended up getting a high fever along with all the aches and chills like last time so I was able to fight it off all on my own without having to take out another student loan to go to a doctor without insurance.
It was a long couple of days but it finally went away.
And just in time for Lawson to get super sick!

Lawson had had a small cough for about 10 days or so but nothing too bad.
But for some reason, all of a sudden he woke up one night around midnight coughing so hard that he made himself throw up.
Plus he was very congested and could hardly breathe.
It was a long night waiting for 8 am to roll around so I could take him to the pediatrician but we made it!

So at the doctor they ended up giving him a steroid shot to help his airway open up more and then put him on an antibiotic since he'd technically had a cough for over 10 days at this point to help clear up any infection.

It was quite the ordeal being there at the doctor though.
Any time someone would even just knock on the door Lawson would immediately start screaming and crying.
Let's just say that Lawson is not very fond of doctors right now.

To make things even better, the next day was my birthday and so we had to cancel all of our plans to stay home with one very sick, cranky and whiny Lawson.
Not the greatest birthday I've ever had...

And then I start feeling a little tickle in the back or my throat and start coughing here and there.
Great...
Luckily, I haven't gotten it too bad since I started taking cough medicine right away to try and ward it off as much as possible.

We were really worried about Raleigh getting sick but luckily she didn't seem to catch anything...
Until today.

She woke up a few times last night (which in very unusual for her) and was very congested.
She's now had a hard time sleeping and eating all day because of not being able to breathe very well.
 Poor girl.
I feel so bad when there's not much you can do for them when they're feeling so sick!
I guess we'll have to see how tonight goes...

And to top all things off, Travis told me today that he's starting to feel a little tickle in his throat as well.
Ugh...

So hopefully all of this will play itself out and be over with by Sunday afternoon because our Thanksgiving vacation is coming up!
We're heading to Colorado for a week to visit family and eat way too much yummy food.
So I guess in a way I should be glad that this last week was spent with all of us being sickies instead of next week...
Because next week is one of our most favorite times of the year!

2 comments:

Stormie said...

Shoot Katelyn! I'm so sorry you were all sick! I wish I had known you had mastitis so I could've helped out! It's so hard when your kids are sick! You feel so bad for them. Hope you all get healthy quickly!

MOMMY TALK WITH STEPH said...

Oh my goodness! I am sorry, Katelyn! I hope things look up for you guys! I had to look up what mastitis was cuz I had never heard of it. Ha ha. Anyway....hope you all get better soon! Love you! Have a great week!