Monday, June 13, 2011

Relay for Life

Last Friday, we had a Relay for Life in our city for the American Cancer Society.
Relay for Life is when participants make donations to the ACS and walk 
all night long in honor of cancer victims and survivors.

Our ward decided to participate since we have several people battling cancer right now and many survivors.
Unfortunately, the day of the event I ended up getting a flu bug so I wasn't 
able to actually participate in the walking. 
I was really, really bummed about it...

However, we were still able to make some donations and therefore able to decorate luminaries in honor of any family members that we have that have been affected by cancer.

So I made a luminary for my grandpa, Vernon Bouvang, who was diagnosed with
prostate cancer about 20 years ago but went into remission after having surgery.
Then16 years later he was diagnosed with having bone cancer which 
eventually took his life a short time later.

I also made a luminary for grandma, Doris Hancock, who was diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia nearly 9 years ago and died a short 4 months later.


It feels so good to make donations to cancer research in hope that one day more solutions and cures can be found for those many who have or will be affected by cancer in their own lives.

I really wish I could've participated more by actually being able to walk for Relay for Life but there's always next year...

If you know of something like this going on in your area, wherever that may be, I highly recommend and encourage everyone to participate and do something good for those cancer survivors and victims out there!

No comments: