Thursday, March 31, 2011

Being a Mom

So Travis has finally started his new job.
He's working as a Medical Assistant at Boulder Community Hospital.

It's awesome that he was finally able to find a job but I was really 
starting to get used to having him around all day every day.

Anyway, with him having his first real work days behind him now something has finally hit me.

I am a 100% legit stay-at-home mom now.

Weird...

I mean, Travis gets up at 6 am and is to work by 7am and doesn't get off until 5 pm.
All the while I stay home doing "stay-at-home mom things" such as cooking, cleaning, running errands, shopping, laundry, etc. and taking care of Lawson in between.

When Travis gets home we have dinner and spend some family time together before Lawson goes to bed.
Finally, Travis and I spend what little time we have left in the day together before we head to bed and get ready to do it all over again the next day.

It's kinda crazy that this is our life now.

You know,
the stereotypical husband-goes-to-work-while-the-wife-stays-home-to-take-care-of-the-kids-and-house-life.

But you know what?

I absolutely love it.

I know that some people tend to make fun of or look down on the typical "Mormon Mommy"
but I could care less.

There is nothing else I would rather be doing.
And I know for a fact that this is what I am meant to be doing.

To be honest, I never really wanted to be a stay-at-home mom.
I would always get kinda offended when people would just assume that I would be a mom and only a mom.
I always thought that I would go to oodles of school and have some prestigious career.

But the older I got, and after Travis and I were married,
the more I realized that I in fact really did want to be "just" a mom.
And in my opinion there is no amount of schooling or any career that is more prestigious than being a mother at home.

My mom always repeats this quote to me and my siblings:
"No success can compensate for failure in the home".

And you better believe that I whole heartedly believe that now.
I understand how important raising and teaching kids in the home is now.

I'm so thankful for the opportunity I have to be at home all day every day with Lawson.
I know it will get harder as he gets older and as more kids come along.

But guess what?

I'm going to take it on and love it!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

i LOVE that quote from your mom, so true.