Sunday, July 18, 2010

We don't have to pump our own gas???

This past week Travis and I were living the life. Why? Because we didn't have to pump our own gas! That's right, we got to spend an entire week in Oregon and not once did we have to pump our own gas. Let's just say those Oregonians are totally spoiled and I will admit that I feel really weird having to pump gas now that we're back in good ol' Utah...I kinda liked being spoiled for a week.

So Travis and I were able to go on vacation this last week to visit Oregon with my mom, my sister Tori, his mom and his sister Marissa. Travis' mom grew up in Oregon and here entire family is still there so it was a lot of fun to be able to meet the her family and get to know them. We were also able to do A LOT of sightseeing (which unfortunately was accompanied by A LOT of driving which=Katelyn being sick A LOT...blah) and do lots of fun things. We took a ton of pictures so here's the recap of our trip:

Here we are with Herman the Sturgeon at the Bonneville fish hatchery. Now you may not believe me when I say that we had fun at a fish hatchery but it was actually very interesting and pretty cool. Good ol' Herman here is over 60 years old and over 11 feet long. That's a pretty stinkin big fish! And just in case you didn't know, caviar comes from sturgeon eggs...so there's your random cool fact of the day!

Outside at the fish hatchery with the rainbow trout. I'm not a fan of fish AT ALL but it was really cool to be surrounded by literally millions of fish...

Multnomah Falls. You can't see the top of it in this picture but it's so beautiful! This is the 2nd tallest waterfall in the United States...another cool fact for ya!

The top part of Multnomah Falls...the picture seriously does NOT do it justice at all.
Travis hiked to the top of the falls so here's a picture from the top looking down. I wish I could've hiked up but I'm pretty sure I would have given birth along the way so I sat this one out...

The gang at the top of the falls (minus Travis' mom who was taking the picture). There's my sister Tori, Travis' cousin Keira, and Travis' sister Marissa.

Another one of the many waterfalls we were able to see...this is one of my favorites! But once again, the picture just doesn't do it justice. It was so peaceful and relaxing to be here...plus a nice strong breeze accompanied this waterfall which is always a major plus for any pregnant woman!

A lookout point over the Columbia River gorge which was breathtaking. This trip definitely gave me a much, much better appreciation for the beauty of the earth and all the wonderful things nature has to offer...just a quick side note there! 

Travis at the top of the Astoria Column. You have to climb 164 steps to get to the top but then you can see for miles and miles...I had to take Travis' word for that because once again, I sat this climbing adventure out!  There in the background is the bridge in Astoria, OR that connects to Washington. 

 Here is another look over the Columbia River from the top of Astoria Column.

Travis and I at Mo's, a famous restaurant in Canon Beach that has the best clam chowder around!

The famous Haystack rock in Cannon Beach. Once again, so beautiful! We spent the day on the beach with this view. You should be jealous...

 Haystack Rock at sunset...need I say more?

 Travis down at the tide pools by Haystack Rock. There were all sorts of crazy, tiny, squishy and interesting things down there to explore.

Overlooking the ocean at the Cape Meares Lighthouse. I don't know if you can tell but we were pretty miserably cold in the picture. The wind was ridiculous strong and therefore made it feel like thirty degrees...but still a pretty site nonetheless!

A different view from the same spot above. The cliffs were huge and pretty amazing. That rock on the left side of the picture is a popular bird nesting area for the Oregon coast so there were tons and tons of birds out there.

Another scenic spot from the Cape Meares Lighthouse. There in the background and to the right is Three Arch Rock. You can't really see all that well but obviously there were three big and beautiful arches. This is a popular place for Sea Lions and Harbor Seals to raise their young and live along with 250,000 birds as well.

The Cape Meares Lighthouse which is still functioning and in use today.

Seaside, OR was the place we stayed at. This place marks the end of the Lewis and Clark trail. Our resort was right on the beach and had some really nice pools and hot tubs but we didn't really take advantage of them because of the ridiculously cold for July weather. As you can see, I'm wearing a sweatshirt here in the middle of July...seriously?!? And we didn't even go near the actual ocean because it was literally caused physically excruciating pain to even put the tip of one toe in the water. Seriously.

We went to the Seaside Aquarium where they have seals you can feed by hand. Here's Travis with the delicious fish head food (it made me nauseous just looking at it...).

Here's our favorite seal, Greta. We were told that none of the seals have been trained to do any tricks and that anything they do they've learned to do themselves. So here's Greta (farthest right) laying out being a huge porker and what does she do to get attention and food?? She just lays there and slaps her belly with her flipper which makes a loud noise and then opens her mouth towards you. It was hilarious! Needless to say, we gave her plenty of food and had lots of fun doing it. 

Here's another pretty cool seal we were able to feed. His trick to get attention and food was splashing a huge wave of water towards you and completely drenching you....what a stud!
The last night we were there we made a fire out on the beach and roasted marshmallows and made s'mores. It was a lot of fun and relaxing to spend of warm night out on the beach under the stars with some yummy treats!

We also spent a day in Tillamook, OR which is famous for its creamery. This city is where the really ridiculously good Tillamook cheese is made along with many other dairy products. We were able to go to the Tillamook cheese factory and see how they make, package, and ship their cheese. I know a cheese factory doesn't sound that interesting but it was actually a lot of fun! Plus we had the best ice cream there that I've ever had in my entire life. Seriously.

Well that pretty much sums up our last week. We had a blast (except for the bajillion hours we had to spend in the car...blah) and can't wait to go back so we don't have to pump our own gas for a whole week again!

1 comment:

Kristen said...

hahaha. we live on the family farm so we usually just get our gas there, but i was in town a week or so ago and ran out of gas so i had to go to the gas station and it was the weirdest thing ever to not fill up your own tank! It was kind of nice not to have to get out and to have the guy wash my car while i sat there. I'm thinking i might have to fill up in town more often =)