Monday, October 29, 2012

Raleigh's Blessing

We were able to bless Raleigh on October 21, 2012.
And we were lucky enough to have my Dad and little sister come to visit for her blessing!
It's hard living so far away from family sometimes and knowing that they won't always be able to be present for occasions such as this.
So we're glad they were able to make it!

However, I'm not going to lie, the morning of her blessing did not go as planned and actually ended up being really stressful for me.

I made sure to get up extra early so I would be able to get everything done that I needed to with plenty of time to spare before having to get to church.
Well, with a two year and a two month old and Travis having early morning meetings every Sunday and not being home to help, that is always a hard thing to accomplish let alone on a special day like this.

So we all finally get ready and go to head out the door at 8:40 and I'm thinking "Oh, this is going to be so nice to get to church early and not be stressed..."
Well, I was proved wrong almost immediately when I go to get my car keys and they are missing!
I'm not panicking yet because I quickly check all the other places I usually leave them.
Well, they're not in any of those places or anywhere else for that matter and so I start to panic because we have no way of getting to the church now.
I try calling Travis hoping that he's out of his meeting and can just come home real quick to give me his car key but his phone was turned off...
What?!?
Travis never turns his phone off...except apparently on Sunday mornings when he's in meetings.
Great.

So we all continue hunting for the keys while I'm calling Travis over and over again hoping he'll eventually turn on his phone.
Well, I finally get through to him and hurry to explain what's going on and what does he do?!
He starts laughing at me.
Yeah...

I hurry and say "Please don't laugh at me and just hurry home as quick as you can because I'm about to start crying!" and then hang up on him.
(of course I said this in a very calm and collected voice and was not freaking out at all...)

So Travis finally gets back home at 9:00 which is when church is suppose start and we all jump in the car and hurry as fast as we can to get there.
Well, the street we normally take to get to the church is closed because of construction so I have to take this back way to get there and I end up getting a little turned around because I've never been that way before and end up taking us on a little detour.
Great, Katelyn. Just great.

We finally make it to the church and are literally running into the building to hear that the congregation is still singing the opening hymn.
Phew, we hadn't missed the time when Raleigh was supposed to be blessed!

We walk very calmly into the chapel and sit down just as the song is finishing and only a few minutes left to spare.
Once the opening prayer is said they call Raleigh up to be blessed and what happens???
Lawson starts to have a major meltdown.

Oh no, oh no, oh no....

So Travis takes Raleigh up front while I have to grab Lawson to keep him from screaming and crying and run to the back of the chapel in hopes he'll become quite so I can listen to what Travis says for Raleigh.
A few friends tried to take Lawson from me so I could listen and focus but Lawson would just not have it.
Great timing kid!

So Lawson calms down a little and I try to listen and focus on what's being said but then Raleigh starts crying and I immediately remember that I forgot to make sure she had her binky when Travis took her up.
So then I get distracted with her crying and can't focus at all.

At this point, I haven't heard a single thing Travis has said and I'm trying so hard to not just break down and cry myself.
This was suppose to be such a beautiful and wonderful moment for our little girl and everything was just falling apart it felt like.

Travis finishes up and as soon as he's done Raleigh stops crying.
Of course!
And by this point Lawson had also calmed down and was ready to go sit back with Daddy and Raleigh.

Needless to say, the morning did not go as smoothly as I had planned!
I was so disappointed that I hadn't heard anything.

Well, thankfully one of my really good friends came up after sacrament was over and explained that she had written down what Travis had said when blessing our little Raleigh for me.

I couldn't help it, I broke down and just started crying right there.
I was so incredibly grateful and relieved that I could at least have what she wrote down to remember those beautiful things that were said!
(So thank you Stormie, I really don't think you realize how much of an impact that made on me!)

So even though it turned out to be an incredibly stressful morning I'm so glad that our little ladybug could be blessed by her Daddy.
We're so grateful for the gospel and the priesthood in our lives!
(Want to know more? Check out mormon.org or lds.org if interested!)

Here's a few pictures we snagged after chruch:

Our family with my Dad and my sister Tori!

Getting a two year old to look at the camera and smile is not a very easy thing to do...
But still loving our little family of four!

Grateful some of my family could make it out for her big day!

And finally, here's some pictures of our little Raleigh in all her white!





Isn't she precious and beautiful?!
We sure do love our little baby girl!

3 comments:

Stormie said...

Wow! What a stressful morning! Glad you survived. We also were running late and were frustrated by the detour. :)

SO glad I had that prompting and could help out! I'm so glad that I could help you because it was a beautiful blessing. Despite the drama, you have some great kids!

Chandra Hedman said...

Ahh so crazy!! I'm so glad Stormie did that for you! Raleigh looks so beautiful in her blessing dress. Great pictures!

Ashlee said...

She is just so beautiful. If it makes you feel any better, I didn't even notice you came in late! Ah, the stresses of parenthood.