Thursday, July 19, 2012

"Fun" Family Excursion

Well, we decided to have a "fun" little family excursion to this lovely place a few nights ago...


(And no, I'll say right away, that it wasn't for me or Baby Girl...no worries there!)

You see, Travis woke up one morning with a really weird feeling in his chest and just figured that he'd slept weird or something. 
But as the day went one it kept getting worse and worse and pretty bothersome.
Well we went ahead and went to bed that night thinking that it still wasn't that big of a deal.

However, Travis woke up around 2:45 am with really significant pain in his chest and a hard time being able to breathe normally.
Okay, maybe this is a big deal after all....

Normally chest pain is NOT something you really want to mess around with and take chances with so after a quick call to a 24 hour Nurse Hotline we were told to that we had to go to Emergency Room.
Oh. Great...

So we hurry and get dressed and grab Lawson last second to head out into the night.
By this point, Travis was still in pretty significant pain so we both definitely felt that this was the right decision.

So we show up at the ER around 3:30 am and get checked in right away.
I guess that's the good thing about going in the middle of night.
Not too much of a waiting line thankfully.

They get to work on Travis right away running an EKG, a bunch of blood and lab work, a fancy chest X-Ray, etc.

All the while Lawson is just having a ball and bouncing off the walls and thinking "This is soooooo cool to be up in the middle of the night and there's no way I'm going to go back to sleep and makes this much easier on Mommy!"

Of course not.
What 2 year old would go back to sleep while visiting the ER in the middle of the night?!
Obviously not my 2 year old.

So after all the testing and what not was done on Travis we were told to wait.

And so we did...
Wait. And wait. And wait some more.

All the while Travis is lying in this hospital bed in significant pain with all sorts of machines hooked up to him and Lawson running around like a wild child trying to pull all the cords...

Yeah, so much for not too much of a wait during the middle of the night, eh?

Anyway, after a couple of hours the doc came back and pretty much told us that they couldn't find anything wrong with Travis.

What in the world?!
I mean, it's really obvious that he's in a lot of pain but they can't find anything wrong?!

I guess in hindsight this probably should've been a relief because everything with his heart was showing perfectly normal and healthy but after a couple hour wait and lots of worrying to be told there is nothing wrong with you is pretty frustrating.

So basically they told us we could go home but to stop by the store and get some pain medication.
Alrighty then...

So that's what we did.
We stopped by the store to grab some pain meds and then got home around 7:45 am and went right back to sleep.

Oh wait.
Travis went back to sleep.

And Lawson???
Nope, still not interested in sleep at all.
 Alright, looks like Mommy isn't going back to sleep either!

Lawson and I let Travis sleep for several hours and then he woke up feeling a little bit better thanks to the pain meds.
Good thing because "fortunately" he had a required med school meeting that he had to be to and couldn't just lie around all day like he just spent the majority of the night in the ER or anything...

So Travis heads off to school and Lawson and I go about our day as we normally would.
Finally, Lawson decides to crash and sleeps for a blessed almost 4 hours.
And you better believe that I dropped whatever I was doing and crashed as well!

So, as of now, a few days later Travis is miraculously feeling completely normal.
We never did find out what was wrong.
But thankfully the chest pain went away after a couple of days.

And we're still glad that we made that little excursion to the Emergency Room that night if for nothing but peace of mind that he wasn't about to keel over any second from a heart attack or something!
(I guess we'll have to see if we still feel that way when the lovely bill comes in the mail, eh?)

4 comments:

Stormie said...

shoot! I"m sorry to hear about this, but glad they didn't find anything! It wasn't on a day you watched the girls was it? Sorry Lawson didn't go back to sleep.

Jennifer said...

I am sorry to hear that. ER visits are not fun. You are lucky you didn't have a line though. When you get the bill you should try to get this form from UTMB where you enter your financial information basically showing how poor you are and some documentation. We ended up doing that with Tim and they waived all of our part of his medical bills! Of course they still got 10s of 1,000s of dollars from our insurance company.

Julie Sainsbury said...

wow that is so scary! When I read the title I thought for sure it was you going to the er. I'm glad that Travis is doing better!

Rachel said...

I read the title and thought not you, but Lawson was in the ER. I am glad nothing was wrong but it is frustrating they couldn't find what the problem is.