Sunday, January 30, 2011

Troubles with the Flu

So all my efforts to keep Lawson from getting sick failed...

That poor kid has been so sick and I feel so horrible for him!
This is the first time he's ever been sick so it's been quite the learning experience for both of us.

It started around 1:30 am Friday morning.
He woke up crying and I thought 
"No big deal. I'll just go get him back to sleep real quick"

Boy was I wrong!
"Real quick" turned into four hours of an awake and miserable Lawson.

Yup, I was finally able to get him to fall asleep and stay asleep around 5:45 am.
It was definitely a very long night for us.

Yesterday was also pretty miserable for him and we finally decided to take him to the ER to get checked out because his fever had been so high for so long.

The thing is, technically we don't have health insurance right now...
Great timing Lawson!
(Oh well, we are in the process of getting approved for Medicaid so hopefully they'll be able to help us out.)

So after a couple of hours at the ER and some tests it was established that Lawson has a pretty bad case of the flu.
Influenza A to be exact.
(The technical name makes it sound much more worse.)

They sent us home with a packet of information and ways to treat the symptoms.
It's pretty much become my bible the last 24 hours.
But boy has it helped!

He was able to sleep through the night expect for waking up at 4 am to eat and be changed.
His fever finally came down earlier this afternoon.
He has a few more smiles today than he did yesterday.
And he's definitely breathing a lot better.

So hopefully he'll kick this thing in the next day or so.
I definitely like a healthy smiling Lawson better!

1 comment:

Amanda and Chase England said...

Oh, I am so sorry that he is sick! I guess little kids usually get their first illness around 6 months, and it can really freak a mom out. I am glad that he is starting to feel better! You are a good mom:)