Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sleep?

So I know I brag about Lawson a lot on here 
but believe it or not he does have a few flaws in him.
GASP!
I know, I know.
Who would've thought?

So, over the last month or so he has just become worse and worse 
about still sleeping through the night.
It's finally gotten to the point where some nights 
he's up almost every TWO hours...
He never even got up that often when he was a newborn!
So what's up with him?!

I wish I could answer that.
But honestly, I have no. stinkin.clue.
And it really sucks.

Seriously, I have no idea why all of a sudden he's started 
getting up more and more each night.
But then sometimes he'll throw us a huge curve ball and sleep 
all night long again when I did absolutely nothing different 
to try and help him sleep better.
 Huh???
 
So every night is a guessing game with this kid now.
I  never know what to expect and it's  
DRIVING ME CRAZY!

So I've gone to the library and I've checked out all sorts of baby help books and I am now in the midst of reading through all of them to try and figure out what is going on during the night with this kid.
 
I know he's not that hungry after only a few hours of being asleep when he's gone all night long without eating on other nights.
And I always check his diaper and 9 out of 10 times it's just fine.
And I know he's not too cold or too hot.
And he's not sick with anything.
And I make sure to burp him and give him any gas relief.
I've even started using a humidifier with him.
And just letting him cry it out definitely doesn't help...

But nothing seems to work consistently with him.
 
I've gotten a few ideas from some people and these books I'm reading to start trying.
So pretty much, I'm willing to try anything at this point!
(So any suggestions are much appreciated)

So until we figure something out here's to playing the
guessing game each night and lots of prayers
that's he'll actually start sleeping again!

3 comments:

Adam and Bri VanSleeuwen said...

Oh no, that's a bummer especially when he was sleeping so well. Hopefully the last two nights of him sleeping well will continue. Some kids just want to be little stinkers and give us a hard time. Have you ready Baby Wise by Ezzo? I think I have told you about it already and I don't think he is too old to keep doing the same thing the book says. Good luck to you, it will get better, it just has to!

Amanda said...

Hi Katelyn! Sorry about Lawson's sleeping troubles. I would recommend reading the book Baby Whisperer by Tracy Hogg. I really liked it and I think it helped me get Aliza to sleep through the night. One thing I like about the book is she doesn't just tell you to let your baby 'cry it out.' (I think the Baby Wise book suggests just letting your baby cry.) Instead she teaches how to train your baby to fall asleep on his own. This way if he wakes up during the night he can easily fall back asleep. I didn't use all her suggestions but
i adapted it to work for us. I hope it can help you too!

J+SPOLLERT said...

Hi...I'm a friend of Travis' from high school...sounds like some classic 4 month sleep regression. It's something you can Google. My baby did the same thing...it lasts about 2 or 3 weeks and goes away. I'm sure you're both tired but if crying it out isn't something you're comfortable with (i wasn't) its ok to just hold rock and love them. It will get better and its ok to spoil a little...he's still very Young. My little guy sleeps through the night and has forever...so a little extra love through these next few weeks won't ruin him. Hang in there.