Monday, May 18, 2009

I love old people!

So I've been taking this CNA class and over the last couple of weeks I've been able to do some clinicals where I get to shadow other CNAs while they work. I've seriously had such a blast and I love it! Old people pretty much make my day! I'm so excited for when I can start working as a CNA so that I can interact with these people on a regular basis. This past Saturday I got the opportunity to work in the psychiatric wing of the nursing home and it has been by far the best experience for me. I cannot even describe the love and compassion I felt toward those residents. They also gave me some pretty good laughs! For example, one lady who had schizophrenia kept swearing at me and calling me a "gosh dang" (edited of course...) German and then changed her mind and thought I was a Chinese spy and the CNA I was working with was Arabic haha. Another resident was pretty much nonresponsive unless you mentioned the fact that he was a disc jokey back in the day. As soon as I said the words "disc jokey" he would perk up and his eyes would get huge and then he'd yell "I was a disc jokey for 10 years!". Another lady wanted me to do her nails for her. That was a lot of fun because although she never said a single word to me the entire day, everytime I would look up at her she would give me the biggest grin in the entire world. Two other men believed they were generals in the army and would yell at me like I was in the army and then get mad at me for not obeying my "commanding officers" haha. But the best moment of the day was when I was helping a certain gentlemen get dressed for the day. He hadn't said a single word to me thus far until I was helping him with his shirt. He was staring at me with a look of deep thought on his face when he said "You have beautiful eyes". That just melted my heart! The rest of the day he didn't say a single word to me or anyone else. So as you can probably tell, I love these old people and can't wait to go back and visit with them some more!

No comments: