Monday, September 12, 2011

12 Months

So I  know that it's mostly been a Lawson love fest on here lately but turning one is a pretty big deal!
So this post is mostly for journaling purposes so I can remember all that he's accomplished and currently doing but I hope everyone else can enjoy as well!

So here are some things about Lawson at 12 months old:

He is walking all over the place! Seriously, the kid can basically run at this point. It's pretty funny when he gets going so fast because I can tell that he's about to biff it but I just let him do it and then laugh at him. Don't worry, he always ends up laughing also.

He is starting to say a few words. His first was "bye, bye" while waving his hand. The second? Jesus. (How cool is that?!) We have a picture of Christ in our front room and we'll ask him "Where's Jesus?" and he'll go over and point at the picture and then repeat "Jesus" but in a ridiculously cute, high pitched, somewhat recognizable baby voice. And the third word? Tiger. Once again, he has a picture of a tiger in his room and when we ask "Where's the tiger?" he'll run back to his room and point at the picture and repeat "tiger". Still no "mama" or "dada" though??? Interesting.

He loves pointing at things to let us know that he wants them or is recognizing them. (Sooooo nice being able to somewhat communicate with him and know what he wants!) He knows that his drink is in the fridge and so he'll point at it when he wants a drink. When eating meals I'll lay out all his dishes on the table and then he'll point at what he wants to eat next. And of course, he love pointing at pictures or out the windows or at any object in the house and then trying to make sense of what they are.

He's down to nursing only one time a day now. (TMI? Sorry!) We're slowly but surely getting him off the hook and hopefully we'll be there by next week. Don't get me wrong, I've loved nursing my baby and wouldn't change anything about the last year. But that's the thing. It's been a whole year. Time to call it quits kid!

With turning one he's allowed to drink cow's milk now. At first he absolutely hated it. Obviously I have no idea what breast milk tastes like or how it compares to cows milk but after a few days of me being really persistent and working with him he now pretty much loves it! He doesn't turn his nose up at it at all and he'll drink a whole cup full no problem.

He's gotten really good with what he eats. He basically eats whatever we eat for dinner. And I don't even have to blend it up anymore! (Yay!!)  It's so nice and much easier to just being able to cut up our dinner and hand to him rather than having to prepare his own meal. He'll pretty much eat everything for the most part. There's a few things he doesn't like a whole lot but I can usually get him to eat at least some of it. His favorite food is still string cheese. The kid's face lights up when I pull it out of the fridge and he starts getting really excited and then he downs the thing within a few minutes!

He randomly started putting himself to sleep a little over a week ago. I've always either nursed him or rocked him to sleep and then laid him down in his crib asleep. Well he started waking up when I'd go to lay him down and then cry. So I decided to try just walking out of the room and sure enough, he cried for about maybe a minute and then went right on to sleep all on his own. Now he's gotten to the point where he doesn't even cry when I leave the room. And the best part is that I didn't even have to work with him or try to teach him this! So nice to be able to sing a few songs, wrap him up, lay him down, kiss him and then walk out of the room after only a few minutes and have him not cry and stay awake until I come back and rock him forever or nurse him.

He's really gotten into books lately. He loves just sitting on the floor and flipping through books and looking at all the pictures. Right now his favorites are books that make sounds when pushing something. He's gotten really good at pushing those buttons on his own and flipping through all the pages on his own. I'll sit and read with some each day and he'll just lay back in my lap and listen.

He loves playing with any sort of toy especially ones that either make a lot of noise (great...) or involve some sort of stacking. He'll shut himself in his room and just play with his toys for quite a while most days. Makes it a lot easier for me to get some things done!

He loves interacting with us and playing games with us. He love, love, loves, to be chased around and will giggle uncontrollably while running away from us. He also love peek-a-boo, hide and seek, as well as well as anything that solicits an applause from mom and dad.

Finally, he's a little devil! He'll do things he knows he's not suppose to do just to get a reaction out of us. Like going behind the TVstand. He knows he'll get a pretty good reaction out of us and so he'll put one foot behind it and then look right at us with a big grin on his face as if he's saying "Oh boy, look what I'm about to do mom and dad!" and then wait for us to come over and grab him away. I can only imagine what he'll be like when he gets older...  
 
So yeah, that pretty much sums up Lawson at 12 months old!
We've loved having him in our family this last year and can't wait for him to continue growing and changing!

No comments: