Sunday, June 5, 2011

Just Breathe

So we've always noticed that when Lawson catches a cold or gets sick it seems to last forever.
I mean, when he gets a cough, which is fairly common for him, it will usually last about 3-4 weeks.
Now I know I'm a first time mom but I was pretty sure this wasn't quite normal.

Well last Wednesday Lawson starting coughing pretty badly.
(Not a huge surprise)
And then on Thursday he was coughing so badly that he started throwing up.
(That was a big surprise!)
The poor kid just could not stop coughing, and coughing, and coughing... 

Finally after a very long night Thursday we decided to take him into the doc because something seemed pretty off with him.

So long story short, Lawson was diagnosed with having Bronchospasms which basically means the bronchi in his lungs are having spasms and therefore make breathing noisy and difficult for him.

Of course, this makes sense as to why his coughs and colds would always last so long and would always get pretty severe.

Unfortunately, the doctor said that this condition is associated with developing asthma.
It doesn't necessarily mean he will for sure have asthma but it's pretty likely this can turn into a chronic condition.

But since we've caught on pretty earlier hopefully we'll be able to keep close tabs on his condition and keep it well under control.

The doc prescribed him a nebulizer (nasal inhalation breathing treatments) 4x a day, an anti inflammatory steroid to help his lungs open up more, and an antihistamine to help with any allergies.

There has been such a huge difference between today and two days ago.
Thank goodness for medications to help my boy breathe better!

He's still not 100% but he's slowly getting there.
At least he's somewhat sleeping through the night again...sigh.

We're suppose to check back with the doc later this week to see if the breathing treatments and medications need to continue or not so hopefully we'll get some good news!

He's been such a trooper throughout all of this.
The nebulizer was somewhat of a challenge at first because what 9 month old is willing to sit still for at least 10 minutes and breathe through a mask strapped to his face?

But we've got little system going now.
As long as I hold him in my lap and rock him while singing silly songs he'll sit still for me and breathe really well.


What a stud!

So hopefully this won't turn into anything too serious.
Wish us luck!

4 comments:

Summer Anderson said...

Aww my heart goes out to the little guy! Good Luck. It is true singing silly songs does work very well to get wiggly boys to sit still!

MOMMY TALK WITH STEPH said...

OH! I am sorry Katelyn! William when living in Utah during the winter and spring got sick everyday! It was not a surprise to me either when he got a cough. But I am glad things are getting better for him! You are a great mommy! :)

Amanda and Chase England said...

Oh, that is hard Katelyn! Thank goodness for modern medicine, but still. . . my heart goes out to you guys. Hopefully things will only go uphill from here. You guys are great parents, I am so glad you were able to to catch this so early!

Rachel said...

The straps match your shirt!

I am glad you were able to figure things out and get him some help. Noah has been having a few minor issues but they are starting to add up so I might take him into the doctor soon.