Friday, September 17, 2010

Parenthood Thus Far

Oh boy...the last 9 days have been quite the adventure! Let's just say that the first two nights at home with Lawson were a HUGE reality check for us. We quickly learned that a sleeping baby during the day = a wide awake baby during the night. The first night he woke up at 1 am and was wide awake until about 5 am. At that point Travis' mom came and got him from us so we could get at least a few hours of sleep. So the next day we tried as hard as we could to keep him awake during the day but it didn't work. Blah. He woke up at 2 am and was up until almost 7 am when once again Travis' mom came to the rescue. Needless to say, I was pretty upset and thought for sure that I was a failure. But things started to look up the next night when he FINALLY decided to only wake up twice for about an hour each time. And every night since then has been really good. Knock on wood! We have a pretty good routine down pat now so lets hope he'll keep up the good work for mom and dad!

Sometimes I can't believe how much work a baby is! My days seriously fly by especially since every 2-3 hours I'm feeding him. That really only leaves a 1-2 hour window after each feeding to try to get stuff done or take a quick nap which usually doesn't happen. Ever. I tell Travis I just need to get better at time management and prioritizing. I'm getting better but I'm still getting used to this whole parenting thing and being 100% responsible for another human being all the time instead of just myself. We'll get there one day. Hopefully!

It's been really fun getting to know our little Lawson and all his little quirks. For example, he hates to fall asleep laying flat on his back. He'll never fall asleep if I just lay him down in his bassinet while he's still awake. He needs to be on an incline in order to fall asleep like in his bouncer, swing or on the boppy pillow. Once he's asleep I gently move him to the bassinet and he's good to go for a few hours! Also, if I'm ever having a hard time getting him to fall asleep during the day all I have to do is stick him in his stroller and go on a walk or take him on a drive in the car and he'll be out in about 30 seconds max.  He absolutely hates to have lotion put on and to have cold wipes on his bum. And while he's asleep he'll bust out the biggest and cutest smiles I've ever seen! Let's just say I love getting to know our little guy more and more every day!

Now I know that I've only been at this for almost 2 weeks but I can honestly say I'm loving every minute of it! (Except maybe the 3 am feedings...) I'm so grateful that I can spend all day every day with my son and just be a mom! Here's a few pictures to enjoy!


He loves his little bouncer and spends a lot of his days here!

Our first family outing!

He also loves his swing and the classical music it plays. Nothing can put him to sleep faster!

Getting ready to go to bed! I love my little guy!

3 comments:

syd b. said...

he is so beautiful! i can't wait to see him!

Adam and Bri VanSleeuwen said...

Congrats you guys, he is seriously so cute! Gotta love adjustments, just hang in there, you'll get used to it. Can't wait to see him!

Rachel said...

He's so cute! I need to come by and visit sometime. Keep up the good work and good luck.